Working in the UK – Non EC members

In order to register with Happy Hands Domestic Cleaning Agency and for us to provide you with contracts you must have permission to work or study in the U.K.

Students wishing to work must have a valid student visa (to understand your visa stamp, see: Prepare/Visa) may take part-time work during term time, but cannot work for more than 20 hours per week (unless the work is a necessary part of the studies, as agreed by your school) except during school holidays.

The British Council produce guidance notes for students on “International students and employment – can I work in Britain?” at

UKCOSA produce guidance notes for international students on “Working in the UK during your studies” and “Working in the UK after your studies”:

As a student you will have spare time to work and study however because of the limitations set by the Student Visa your hours are restricted during term time. Happy Hands Domestic Cleaning Agency can help overcome this dilemma by providing you with work up to the maximum allowance of twenty hours per week, and then during your holidays, allocate as much work as you can handle.

Business Visas

This visa category is for nationals of a Country with the relevant EC (European Community) Association Agreement wishing to come to the UK to start a business. The business can be of any size and may even employ just yourself. You may start any type of business, but you must work full time in the running of the business, and must not do work that is not related to your business in the UK.

Happy Hands Domestic Cleaning Agency has many contracts with self-employed cleaners and we can help you with all aspects of your business. The Countries with the relevant agreements are:

  • Bulgaria
  • Romania

If you are unable to come under this category and wish to start a business in the UK, please go to our business immigration page for details of other business-related categories.

Do I qualify to come to the UK under the EC Association Agreement?

You will need to show the following to come under the EC association agreement:

  1. That you are a citizen of Bulgaria or Romania.
  2. You will work solely in the business. You are free to trade using a limited company or as an individual by yourself or in partnership with other individual/s. Please note that if you are a citizen of Slovenia you may only trade using a limited company.
  3. Have sufficient funds to accommodate and provide for you and your family until the business is profitable. In the UK this is likely to be at least GBP £2,000 (about US$ 3,600).
  4. If you are trading as a limited company you must have a controlling interest in the business. This is not relevant for those who are self-employed or in partnership. In the UK those who are self-employed or in partnership who are in effect trading as individuals rather than as a corporate entity do not have to be registered. It should be noted that citizens of Slovenia may only come under the EC Association Agreement if they trade as a limited company.
  5. By implementing a business plan that looks to be thorough and viable.

What about My Family?

You may apply for your spouse and children to accompany you as your dependants.


Your children entering the UK as your dependants are entitled to the same free education as British children. You may choose to send your children to a private school if you wish.

Health care

You and your family are eligible to free health care provided by the National Health Service. You are not required to take out private health insurance.


Your spouse and dependents are entitled to take up any lawful employment.

What about extending my visa?

Your initial visa is granted for a period of 12 months. At the end of your first 12 months in the UK, you may apply for your visa to be extended for a maximum period of three years. This application should be successful if your initial 12 months has proceeded approximately in line with your originally submitted business plan, and you meet the following requirements:

  1. You and your dependants have been able to support yourselves during this period without needing public funds.
  2. You are actively involved in the management and promotion of the business, and have not had to take other employment during this time (your dependants are free to take whatever employment they desire).
  3. Your business continues to exist, is viable, and has sufficient funds to continue trading.
    After a total of 4 years in the UK you may apply for indefinite leave to remain (Permanent Residence). A year after being granted indefinite leave to remain you may be able to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen.

How do I Apply?

If you are already in the UK, you can usually submit an application to remain at the Home Office Immigration Directorate in the UK. Otherwise, you should apply at the British Embassy or Consulate nearest to your Country of nationality or nearest to where you are resident.

You will need to provide documentary evidence showing your work experience, evidence of funds, etc

The application should be accompanied by:

  • Passports
  • Visa fee of £50 (if applying via an UK Embassy or Consulate)
  • 2 passport photos for each applicant

Business plan which should include:

  • Evidence of the funds to be invested
  • The object of the business
  • A projected balance sheet, including:
    • The financial outlay
    • Any loan to the company
    • Assets
    • Stock
  • Profit and loss projection
  • Overheads including:
    • Establishment expenses
    • Admin expenses
    • Depreciation
  • Details of your qualifications and work experience

Happy Hands can assist you in all aspects of your application. If you are interested in taking this further please contact us at

If you match the requirements for working in the UK you may register here for work with Happy Hands.